To keep your piercing safe you need to:
- leave it alone for a couple of days – touching it could infect it
- wash your hands well before cleaning skin
- make sure you only clean and turn the piercing at most twice a day – otherwise your could damage your skin even more
- keep a dry bandage on it while it is healing
- if your piercing is in or around your mouth, make sure you use a antibacterial mouthwash after eating You’ll also need to disinfect the piercing twice a day for a month with a mild antiseptic mouthwash
- if you have bellybutton piercings, avoid wearing belts, tight trousers or restrictive clothing for about six months to a year
- always treat the piercing with care and gentleness.